The Child of God
The Life-Light was the real thing: Every person entering Life he brings into Light. He was in the world, the world was there through him, and yet the world didn’t even notice. He came to his own people, but they didn’t want him. But whoever did want him, who believed he was who he claimed and would do what he said, He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves. These are the God-begotten, not blood-begotten, not flesh-begotten, not sex-begotten.
Seasoning Verses: Romans 8:16-17
16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
There’s actually 2 parts to these verses of scripture as a unit:
- Why was He not recognized by the world or by His own?
- The “right to become children of God” or as the Message states, “He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves.” - the blessing of being children of God.
What do I want you to get from these verses?
- A clarity from these verses how to become a child of God
- An affirmation about being a child of God
What do I hope you will do?
- Some moments to rejoice if I am a child of God - that I am a child of the Most High God.
- To develop a heart and spirit of gratitude and a confidence that says “I’m not ashamed of the gospel” Romans. We’ll deal a bit more about the first, “he was not recognized” in our Tuesday podcast and this morning, we’ll listen for the Holy Spirit’s voice in thinking about being children of God.
Randy Reese is the Co-Directing Pastor of Calvary UMC